Thursday, February 17, 2011

Buh, Job, Meh, Bluh; also The BaB Project

Job job job. I have to get a job. Sort of. The new fuel powering my personal clown car is: Buy a Building ("BaB")! The BaB Project requires, as you might imagine, participating in all the above-ground operations of Satan himself, including relationships formed with banks, realtors, and local government, as well as considerations of school districts, zoning limitations, code enforcement, and property taxes. I want to get on a plane just thinking about it.

On the other hand, the vision of The BaB Project imagines a space that would support personal autonomy with respect to incubation space - you know, shut the door, play music loudly, have friends over, use the space for yoga classes or fixing gear or a recording studio, you know, the usual. Yes indeed that is the fantasy - a work/live space designed to support my and my darlin's things that we do. Which, for me, is basically that I like to stare into space and let my thoughts connect. Also do some yoga. And generally read whatever seems interesting that day and then maybe blog it out.

So anyway, JOB. I had a job interview this week at a job that I could really really like - second interview next week! Some hints: it is not a job at which I would get fat in my chair with the phone against my head. Another hint: not very much money! Can you guess? You'll never guess, and I'll never tell. Unless I get the job and then I will tell each of my readers individually over coffee.

So anyway I really like not having a job, and I could get by for a while yet without getting a job, but I am excited about having a life-plan-dream to work towards, and about helping make it come true. Yay to purpose, booo to responsibilities and possible work stress. Oh conundrum, oh The BaB Project, how you require present sacrifice for future gain.

And let's touch briefly upon the first part of The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer. Wow. This book is awesome, but not in a Betty Friedan blow-the-lid-off-this-society kind of way, it's way more subversive (and therefore less susceptible to mass adaptation/awakening). So this is in the early 70's, I think about eight years after Friedan - and Greer throws around the f-word a lot, and gives a brief critique of the heterosexual sex act, which is fascinating, and tears down the quality of feminine aesthetics (dipilation is crude, curves are social constructs, Twiggy is a socio-economic phenomenon!). It's pretty awesome. She appears to want to dismantle society as the only way to be truly free as humans (well, more than appears, she clearly wants to do that), and says the refusal to be more radical was where the suffragettes "failed," ha ha, yeah, they failed. I can dig on the next class revolution, for sure - I love feminism.

No comments:

Post a Comment