Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year, Homeslices

I'm having fun with my new standing date to practice my yoga-talking on my friends on Sunday mornings. We've done two so far. It's pretty great, since it's at a friend's mom's house, and the mom is way into having people over and made us buttery pastries one week and popovers with jam the next week. So we have a little yoga session in an empty room with a little faux gas fireplace thingy, and I burn a little sage and turn the heat up, and we get cozy and yoga and then have coffee and treats. Could anything make me feel more lucky to exist in this time and place? Not much. A free pony? Meh.

The teaching practice is very informative. My current two lab mice are pretty athletic and coordinated and flexible and incredibly game for anything, so in that sense I have it easy with them. Also I think maybe it's tough to speak up and tell me it's not going great, but I think I'm getting other indicators about what is and isn't working outside of needing them to tell me explicitly. E.g., if I say something and it doesn't produce in them the movement I am trying to evoke, well, that's bad. And the first week I came up short on time, and the second week I did way too much stuff and they were really beat and went over a little. And I was pretty sore, too, so I think we overdid it.

The temptation to say EVERYthing I have EVER thought of EVER is tough to resist. It's incredible to have a rapt audience in this way. The ego temptation is pretty severe. I want to blow hearts and break minds with the bestest things I've ever thought of. Ah but this isn't the point, I know, I know. So trying to provide guidance for people to have their own experience, not MY experience, is pretty hard. Also I really want to talk about all this stuff with someone, so having people who are interested in it to listen to it is exciting.

Buddha class is this Wednesday and I have a coupon for a bring-a-friend-for-free, and I'm thinking about who might want to go with me. Man oh man do I want someone to talk about everything with sometimes. I just need to find someone who is willing to read all the same books at the same time and also be into yoga and also want to talk to me. But this is harder than I think it should be. I have a few ideas of people to make into my friends who are into stuff. It's going to take some courting, though. I'm not such a good courter - I come off a little over eager. Gotta play it cool. There's other stuff I can do, though. Buddha class has talking in it, and a yoga place nearby has a Bhagavad Gita discussion thing, but it costs money. We'll see.

More on the lower back problem: it started hurting again, so I got a massage from my friend (barter, yay!), and today I went to a massage-chiropractor person, and maybe next week I'm going to go to an acupuncturist too. Machine-gun approach, baby. Gonna fix this thing. Then I'll be broke but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment